Wednesday 16 October 2013

comfortabel experience

After doing readings on both psychological and physical comfort and looking at the difference of comfort and discomfort I found that the psychological accept played a more fundamental part of creating comfort then a physical object, as it was easier to determine wether an object was my physically uncomfortable or not uncomfortable rather then determining if it was comfortable due to comfort being a subjective phenomenon (Vink, 2005) and also we take physical comfort for granted as physical comfort is stronger after discomfort (Farrell, 2009).

There are two parts I want to portray in my experience

First I want to create an environment to prevent discomfort physically, such as;


  • Using soft fabrics and textures such as fur, or satin and having soft padding that works ergonomically. Also colours that are deemed warm like orange, white or yellow
  •  a warm environment with temperature and and humidity. 
  • Also prevent pain, ache, numb hurting and other discomfort sensations. 
  • consider the ergonomics and posture to the experience, will they be standing or sitting, will it have support or not?
second I want the experience to be psychologically comfortable;

  • use a smell that will bring comfort in the use of memory and history, I personaly see the smell of lavander as comforting as I relate lavender with going to sleep, when I couldn't sleep when I was a kid my mother used to rub lavender on my chest and wrist to help me relax, so now when I smell it I relaxed which I fell is a sense of being comfortable. 
  • create a safe, relaxing, calm and restful environment 
  • when presenting show positive attributes of, kindness, gentleness, goodness and friendliness
  • think about the history behind peoples experiences of putting on shoes and use the idea of memory to create a comfortable environment 
I feel that it is important to have two parts of the experience, my theory is that you can't create physical comfort only try to prevent physical discomfort as we as humans take the physical aspects of comfort for granted. so preventing physical discomfort will only act as a catalyst to creating physiological comfort, this will then be created by making a comfortable environment using memories, safety, relaxation and positive attributes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment