Wednesday 16 October 2013

The design.

I want to make an experience to represent the actions of putting on and tying your shoes in a comfortable way. I feel that comfort is simple but meaningful, its a feel that you don't want to over power as then i feel it loses its meaning, so I want an experence that dosent have to many gadgets.

  •  my first part is to enlarge the action of tying your shoes to emphasize what is being done, I still want to keep it in the feet region as I fell that a main part of the act of putting on your shoes is the bending down so there is that connection will using your whole body. really wanted this part of my experience to show a large amount of comfort, as I feel i there is more of a physical connection rather then a mental connection to tying up your shoes (and mostly touch) I wanted to have a stronger connection with the prevention of physical discomfort in this part of the experience. in making this I will use soft materials, two soft paddings sewn tougher that can be laced up, this would cover the whole leg making the experience more enlarged, to make this I will make it from two pillows and three pillowcase all sewn together, two of the cases will hold the pillows and the other will act as the tongue will large satin ribbon to tie it up. all of these soft materials will prevent an uncomfortable experience physically and also manipulate the actions on tying up your shoes. I will also line the bottom of the incasing with a soft fur fabric the will create an initial physical comfort and it also create a warm environment inside the helps to make it more comfortable
  • when tying up your shoes you normally sit down, so I feel that the sitting down part of the experience is quite important, to prevent discomfort i will have the chair ergonomically comfortable  with the average sitting hight for the average sized person, to prevent pain and ache. I will also add padding to the chair to had even more support. the touch, warmth and ergonomics are all used to prevent physical discomfort. 
  • To create physiological comfort I will look at smell, the visual look of the experience and the way I act when presenting it. in one of the reading I found it explained that smell was a good way to crate comfort as it can trigger past memories and if a comforting memory will stimulate the feeling, I wanted to use this Idea as I personally find that the smell of lavender is a comforting smell, So I will cover the object in lavender oil to crate the memory. 
  • another physiological comfort factor is the visual look of the object, this plays on the idea on memory and history with other objects. I feel an object looks comfortable with the shapes the form creates, soft, fluid, rounded shapes and also the colours used, my personal preference on comforting colours are warm colours such as yellow, orange and white. as I am trying to keep the model simple and not over powering so I feel I will make the whole model pure white and will use soft fluid fabrics to make it so it looks comfortable before sitting on it and using it. 
  • when looking at how nurses use comfort, it is in their actions, even though it is over a long period of time for them to create their time of comforting actions to their patients i want to try and use their type of personality of make the experience more mentally comfortable; friendly, gentle, kind and friendly.
  • time is also a factor that I feel it a big part of comfort, I want to keep it short and simple as we take comfort for granted I feel that the user would start loosing the comfortable feeling it I keep it going for to long, so it should only last about 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment