Sunday 9 March 2014

more PVA experiments

I decided to to a few more experiment to get a greater understanding of the limitations of the compound.

my first experiment I put it into nail polish remover to see if it would react with the Acetone but nothing happened, over the space of three hours the acetone evaporated and the PVA pallets were left behind, they had become sticky like when reacted in water but it did not dissolve into the acetone.
I next wanted to see what would happen if I dissolved the PVA in water then used the milky substage and interacted it with other materials. I first tried paper, and poured the solution onto the paper, I felt that it didn't really react with the paper, it socked through the paper like any other liquid but then just sat on top and did its own thing, when dried it have the paper some stiffness and a shine to it, but nothing noticeably interesting.
I then tried the same technique but with cellophane, I tried pouring the solution onto the cellophane and painting it on with a paint brush and then left them to dry, like the paper nothing unusual happened with this reaction, the PVA didn't change the retain between water and cellophane. 

I then decided I will play around with colours so I used some of my PVA solution and mixed it with water colour paints and then applied it to paper. this reaction turned out more interesting as when it dried it didn't sock into the paper like water colored paints would on there own, it had some depth to it and sat slightly above the page, it was crisp and had a shine. 
I next wanted to see what would happen it I mixed the solution with dishwashing liquid, not much changed with the reactive properties but I wanted to see what would happen when you put bubbles though it because when you put bubbles though just PVA and water nothing formed, so I forced air though the solution and bubbles formed, I was hoping for them to stay up for longer but they popped shortly after, I felt that PVA didn't change the reaction and it would of happen regardless of PVA being in the solution. 
My last experiment i found quite interesting and unique, for this I got sheets of cloth and dipped them in the water and PVA solution and then dried them with a hair drier to decrease the drink process. I found that it would drying in the position that you formed it in, for example I dried one of the cloth  pieces over a circular lid and when it tried it was formed in the shape, it also has some give in the movement you could move it gently and it will come back to the position, I also tried coloring it with water paint and it colored well. the only problem I found it that you couldn't layer it. The PVA didn't act as a glue, when laying up the sheets and then letting them dry it was easy to pull them apart from each other. It was more like origami you could fold the cloth but you couldn't bound them together. 



No comments:

Post a Comment