Thursday 25 July 2013

Desk lamp.

The lamp I decided to look at is a regular desk lamp, I felt that this lamp has bigger and more manageable components then some of the smaller lamps out there.

Who designed it for which company? When was it manufactured?   
- As I am using an old lamp I no longer have a packaging so can not find out what the company made this lamp or where/when it was manufactured.

What is the specific purpose of the product? Was it designed accordingly and properly? 
- I feel that the main propose of this lamp is to be used as a desk lamp or bedside table lamp, used to only light up a selected part of a room not the whole room. It wasn't designed to stand out or have any special features  all it has is an on/off switch and takes standard bulbs. it does have a bendable neck so you can adjust the angle that the light hit at so docent have a fixed angle. 

Did you find any unique elements compared to other similar products?
- I feel that there is not much unique to this lamp, I feel that this lamp was design purely for function not to be unique and to stand out from others. If there was one component that could be different i would say the bendable neck could make it different to other desk lamps as some don't have that component.

Does it look good? Does it work well? How do you feel when you use it?
-I dont feel it look that good but at the same time not bad, its an object that if you see it in the iconic setting such as a bedside table you wouldn't take any notice of it and it would blend into the surrounding as it is a known object to have on a bedside table. 
-As it is a know/iconic lamp I feel it works well, it is simple and dose what is needed the propose of this lamp is to light a set area of a room and it dose do that therefore it dose work well.
-  I dont feel special or feel like a am using an amazing lighting device when using it. I don't think I take much notice of the lamp its self when using it but more the light coming out of it. I feel that is because it isn't anything unique so you take the design for grated and don't appreciate it for what it is.

Have you found anything to be improved?
-If i look at the lamp its self I don't think anything needs to be improved as it dose what it is asked. but If i was to improve it I would make it something unique and special, make the use want to use it not just for the light coming out from it but also the joy of tuning it on and using it. make it a lamp to stand out in its surroundings and want to be noticed. Not a lamp to blend it and used for function rather then design. 

Where do you put it while not in use? Why?
-As it is a plug in lamp it docent move from its position. when it is not in use it is only switched off on the switch. It doesn't get moved or change form, only at the press of a switch the light stops.

How would you design it if you were the designer?
- I would wont it to be noticed, design it in such a way that it stands out and is used for not only function.

No comments:

Post a Comment