Wednesday 31 July 2013

Doing Dashers auto-­‐ethnography

my last auto-­ethnography I looked at was doing breakfast dishes 


 Touch/temperature: when doing the dishes I feel that temperature and  touch interrelate as changing from hot water to the cold air, and when the utensils change temperature before and after entering the warm water. I can feel the hard bowl and spoon in one had while I hold the scrubbing brush in the other and occasionally brush my hand with the brussels. I can feel the bubbles up my arms and the water on my hands when they are emerged in the water. I can also feel the bench pressed up against my hips when I lean in to scrub.

Smell: I can smell the sweet soapy smell of the lemon dishwashing liquid and a slight smell of my porridge when scrubbing it off the bowl.

taste: I can still taste the remains of my breakfast, the taste of brown sugar, cinnamon, peaches and porridge  and hoping that I wont get a splash of soapy water as I don't want the taste of soap

Sight: as most of this activity is done under the bubbles it is hard to see what is going on, so most of the cleaning is done by touch. occasionally I lift the bowl or spoon up to check if it is clean if I can see food remains still on the bowl or spoon the I dunk it back into the water for another scrub. I find that when I am cleaning I manage to get water every where on the bench so I can normally see bubbles and water up the side of the tap or along the bench and not all just in the sink. depending on how much dishwashing liquid I use results in the number of bubbles accrue so the more liquid the more bubble and if I have more bubbles the harder it is to see the dishes under the water. Before I start washing my skin on my hands are normal colour but after I put them into the warm water the start changing to pink.  

sound: I can hear a slight splashing sound when I push the bow into the water and when it hid the bottom of the sink it makes a tingeing sound against the metal sink. then scrubbing the dishes i can hear a rattling sound as the brush courses the bowl to rattle sightly from side to side this also results in the water to move making a sloshing sound as the water makes waves as it hits the sides of the sink. 


these are my two photos I picked to show my ethnography the top on shows how the colour of my hands turn pink and how the temperature of my hands changes due to the warm water and shows how the bubbles and show the force on gripping on to the glass as when my hand is pressing against it, it goes white. the second one shows the movement I insert to clean the spoons and how i have to hold tightly onto the spoons as I scrub them clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment