Saturday 27 July 2013

Light and water


An Idea that i thought could be affective was the idea of getting light to reflect off water I felt that it give off a simple and organic feel. I like that the way light reflects off water is uncontrollable as light is reelecting off the moving waves, it is soft and fluid it gives a soothing relaxing feel. I think if i made a light that embraces these aspects it could be used as a feature light in someones living room or bed room, a light that gives life to a room in a very simplistic way.

I looked online to see what other people had done with the use of light and water and I stumbled upon this product designed by  Yuki Yamamoto. It a speaker that turns music into sound an light, when music is played thought the speaker it creates movement that results in the water producing waves across the surface  and when light is reflected off the water it creates the detailing shown on the wall. I like this concept in the way that a different source is crating the motion of the water which results in the light being refracted by the moving water. for the light to move it is dependent on the speakers to vibrate the water.



I thought of ways I could manipulate the idea of water and light to make it move so the light could refract off it. I was thinking of different ways to make the water move. I don't want the water to move though the use of a motor I feel that it loses the organic feel that the water refections will produce.
One design I though of was having the water in a bowl shaped object in which you tap the edge of the bowl and it rocks back and forth resulting in the water to move and have the light from above shining down on the moving water.
Another way of portraying it is making the rocking bowl double layered with the light coming from beneath the water and having the top layer transparent to the light can emit though. there is two ways I though to make the water move in this design, either rock it like the first idea or have the top layer detached from the bottom and spin it. The problem I had with the second movement is the fear that water could then get into the lighting circuit and effect the wiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment