Thursday 8 August 2013

First final design of lamp

this is my first Idea of how to make my lamp it was going to have a wooden lampshade that was going to be lathed with two frosted screens to hold the coloured glass sheets inside, reuse the bendable neck from the desk lamp and have a wooden base support the lamp with the battery hidden underneath.
I want to use wood for the lampshade as I feel it gives an organic feel to it and it is easy to use and construct into unique but symmetrical shapes on the lathe. I want the whole lamp shade to be able to rotate on the neck this will then make the coloured glass inside the light will move and result in making different patterns with the light. To stop all the glass from falling to the bottom of its selected area due to gravity I will split it into three even section so the glass can only fall so far, I feel that if i didn't have the sections the glass would not distort all of the light but only the bottom half of the light being emitted. I will strip down the neck from the original lamp to show the metal as I think it will look better agents the wood and give a good contrast between the wooden lamp shade and wooden base. I will make the base out of the same wood as the lamp shade so there is a connection between the two of them it will also be strong enough to support the rest of the lamp. it also is easy to cut into so I can hide the wires and batters to run the lamp. 

I looked at different shapes I could make on the lathe to construct the lamp shade. I wanted something simple but playful as I feel that this is quite a playful lighting device, I want something that isn't to overpowering from the main purpose of the light, to turn the lamp to make the light change and I also wanted one that was easy to handle as you will be turning the whole lamp to make the glass move and fall. 

This is the shape I decided on, it is simple and easy to turn it will have a 20mm hole at the bottom to the neck and fit in to it and still have room to spin. I will make it out of European Beech as I is a strong would so good to lathe with it also has a interesting grain and a soft warm colour. 


No comments:

Post a Comment