Tuesday 13 August 2013

SENSORY ETHNOGRAPHY- tying shoes


I decided to look at tying shoe lases for my sensory ethnography as I wanted to see if people tied them up differently, like making little bows, double bows, bunny ears knot, aways left foot first or anything else unique. and I also wanted to know why they did that and the ask about the main sences they experienced when putting on there shoes and tying up their lasers.

I looked at five people; Allie, Oliver, Caitlin, Mitch and Rona. I first Videoed them putting on there shoes looking at how they did them differently to each other and I felt if I got it on camera it might show things that they do subconsciously and don't even realise that they are doing. I also asked them to explain their story behind tying their lasers, why they tie it that way, how they do it and how it effect the sensors. I found it difficult to explain to them how to talk about their sensors as they had never thought of it so most of them only talked about the touch of how tight they tied the lasers and for sight they talked about why they like to look of their lasers being tied in their unique way.

The most effective way I think to portray my finding is in the form of a book, the way I was going to make it unique is the way it will be laid out. i was going to use illustrations of how each person tied their lacers differently as i thought photos would be to hard to show as peoples hands would get in the way so if I use illustrations I can draw them without having the hands blocking the lacers. I will also use drawings of lacers as a fun and different way to highlight different parts in the book, like faming peoples faces with illustrations of lacers. 
Some of the illustrations I may use.
I was alos think of binding the book with show lacers and so to get into the book you have untie the lacers making a fun and interactive way to open the book it also gives the reader the opportunity to look at how they tie their shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment