Sunday 11 August 2013

modifying the deign

I changed the design of the lighting device taking out the neck and stand and just focusing on the just the head. I felt that it was going to be to hard to pull of the lamp well with the neck and stand as they had a high chance of not looking ascetically pleasing and looking out of place. I also felt it lost focus from the head, it would be hard for the user to figure out how to use it properly if there was to many parts to it. I then looked at different way to have the whole light all inclosed with in the one lathed wood;

 I want a design that is simple, easy to hold, can hold the weight of the lighting fixtures and looks ascetically pleasing. some my designs I wanted to resumable an old fashioned kaleidoscope and other designs I wanted it to look modern and organic.


This is the design I finalised on I felt it was simple and organic with its soft rounded edges it was would be quite easy to grasp if needed to. on the top you can rotate it so that you can move around the glass inside. the LED strip lighting will rap round the inside of the top of the lamp and the battery will be in the thiner part and the switch will be at the bottom.

I felt to make the top part the rotates and also the bottom part to cover the hole and to make the switch the easiest way to make them will be to laser cut the pieces so the will be all the exact size and can guarantee that the top will spin.
The illustrator file of my laser cutting
some of my laser cut pieces after they were sanded 
I then made the out side of the lamp on the lathe focusing on the shape I had decided, I found it hard to round the edges and found my self cutting in at a strait angle not rounded but after a bit of practice I got the hang of it and managed to make it in the end and was quite proud of the out come of it as I was smooth and really easy to hold.

finished before cutting it off.

All polished up.


No comments:

Post a Comment