Wednesday 14 August 2013

Oliver.

The first person I looked at was Oliver a 19 year old science student who does competitive running  so focuses a lot on how he ties his lacers. I first videoed him doing the task:

I then asked him to explain the story behind tying up his lacer and to think about the senses when doing it.


The way I tie my shoes has been influenced a lot by my running. I tend to smell my shoes before I put them on- it’s a bit of a habit. I like my shoes to feel really firm around my feet, so I tend to put in the extra effort to pull the laces tight. This isn’t always possible, though, as I’m often in a hurry, so my shoe tying suffers. I was taught this method of tying my shoelaces by my athletics coach. It’s much the same as the traditional knot and loop method, except I loop clockwise instead of anticlockwise. This creates a reef knot, and the cool thing about it is it never comes undone. It’s handy for long runs, or in races when I can’t afford for my laces to come undone. And that’s how I tie my shoes.

I felt that he experienced touch and sight the most when tying up his shoes with smell playing a miner part in the act as it was a habit in smelling them before putting them on. I also felt that Oliver had a different approach to the other people as he sees tying up his shoes as an important part of running he has to make sure they are done up tight for support and also so they don't come undone when running.

I felt to show how they did their lacers I would document it in illustrations as it was simple, unique and easy to follow.  this is the one I made of oliver:


No comments:

Post a Comment