Wednesday 21 August 2013

Project two SENSORY/EMOTIONAL EXPERIMENT

For this project we have to use the same activity we had for project one (putting on/tying up your shoes) and make three sensory and emotional experiments which will change the material object and the context of the act by changing the taste, look, smell, sound and touch of the act and make them produce the moods or either rebellion, comfort, Austerity and glamor. I will look at each of them and brain storm some ideas that i could make an experiment to reflect them. 

Comfort - 
A condition or feeling of pleasurable ease, well-being, and contentment.



when I first think of comfort I think of touch and temperature, lying in a warm bed with multiple  duvets and pillows to optimize the comfort positions, removing anything that is hard, sharp and ruff. 
When thinking about comforting sounds i think of soothing sounds, nothing with a strong base or to sharp and hash, music that is slow and where the notes are slurred, lullabies. 
with taste comfort food comes to mind, food that is never good for you but makes for feel good inside for the time you consume them, such as chocolate or cake but in my case it would be quality bread or yogurt. 
smell would be a hard one to define when explaining comfort as I feel that everyone would describe it differently but for me I would think the smell of freshly cooked homemade bread or the smell as lavender as it reminds me of my grandparents house or the smell of my mothers perfume, I think when it comes to smell its more the memory the smell gives you and those three remind me of reassurance and peaceful times in my life. 
When I think of sight I think back to how I see touch; a warm padded bed which you could sit or lie in for hours and never have to move. soft shapes and forms, rolling folds on the duvet and big inflated rounded pillows 

Ideas for shoes and comfort:

  • I could play around with the idea of smell, when I think of the smell of putting on shoes it never imagine it will smell very pleasant, the smell of sweaty feet and muddy shoes I could change the smell of the shoes to comforting smells, smells that remind them of reassuring times, the emotional side of comfort, in a way telling some "it will we fine" "everything will work out" "life is to short to be upset" etc. 
  • if looking at taste I know that you don't really taste when you are putting on your shoes as who wants to eat there shoes but I could make the users have some form of comforting food every time they put on their shoes and see if it changes their experience for example they always have to have a square of chocolate every time. 
  • I found when looking at the five people in the last project that most of them found it hard to explain the sound aspect of the act so I could create an experiment that would help inherence it, as a lot of the time when you are putting on your shoes you are in a hurry trying to get out of the door in the mornings so your a bit stressed to make the whole act more comforting I could play soft and soothing music with a slow pace this might cram the people down resulting in making the whole activity more comforting. 
  • Touch is a big factor in tying up your laces as it becomes second nature to tie them up and you sometimes don't even look at what you are doing and rely on touch to find your way around tying the laces into a bow. it might be hard to create something that is unique to touch for creating the mood of comfort but still keeping it so you can complete the task, you could make the shoe its self comfortable like a slipper with laces but I feel that will be hard to strongly expose comfort. I could also change the texture of the laces like making them out of a soft fabric or change the temperature of the laces so when you are tying the bow it will feel different then normal. 
  • Like touch changing the look of the act will be hard to create comfort as they both are the two dominate senses used to tie up and put on your shoes so changing it to radically could effect the whole task and I feel they interrelate when it comes to comfort so you make something look comfortable you would want something that look warm and inviting, something that would protect you and make you feel better. I could look at different shapes and forms and see what ones look more comforting, such as would rounded edges or soft lines represent the mood by changing the shape and form of the shoe.
Glamour - 
The quality of fascinating, alluring, or attracting, especially by acombination of charm and good looks.   


When first think of Glamour I think of some one suited up ready to go out to a classy event head to tail perfection. I feel that sight is the main sense when it comes to glamour in the way you are inspired to be perfect, formal, confidence and classy and I feel that is has a strong feminine approach  as most males aren't going to say they feel glamourous when they are suited up they are going to say they feel classy or handsome and also when you are feeling glamourous you aren't going to do any of those stereotypical  masculine activities like go run in the mud or go oil up are car, I feel its a sense of pride and status to feel glamourous and most people ant feel like this it most days of their lives. I looked up glamour in google to see what other people thought glamor looked like and a lot of photos and images showed females done up in fashionable clothing and their make up done perfectly with perfect lighting to bring out  their features.
Smells that I associate with glamourous I think would be the smell of perfume to be specific a really sweet smelling perfume or that coconut chocolate smell of fake tan or the strong smell of nail polish, I feel that the smell of glamour is the smell of the products you use to get ready to look glamourous.
The sound of glamour is a hard one to describe I feel it would be quite abstract and everyone would have a different approach of what it is, I would say the sound would be that cheesy music they play in movies when the girl walks now the stairs all dressed up to go to the ball or prom or another high class event when they have been transformed into Cinderella and every turn and watches her walk down the stairs in owe.
I feel that glamourous would taste richly sweet a little but to over the top sugar coated. I can picture it as  a overly rich chocolate cake with chocolate icing and covered in strawberries where you would only want one small slice as you can see you teeth growing cavities just looking at it.
Touch is a difficult one to talk about as I feel its quite hard to touch glamour but I would feel glamours with the different types of materials used used with in the upper class, high class event industry such as the soft smooth touch of silk or satin, or the touch of the fakeness of some of the adds on to looking glamourous such as the plastic feel of fake eye lashes and hair or the feel of fake nails when you are tying to use to hands and they get in the way.

Ideas of Glamour for laces and shoes:

  • one Idea to create glamour when tying up your shoes would have music on when doing them up that music used in the moves it could result in the person feeling more glamorous about the act making it feel more important and proud to be putting on the shoes.
  • For touch I could change the fabrics used like use satin laces to have that soft smoothness run through your fingers, or when you are putting on shoes to feel glamorous i feel that heel make you feel more glamourous so I could try see if people feel different when putting on heels to sneakers or I could make it so people put on shoes at the angle the heels are at and see if that makes people feel more glamourous. 
  • Smell I was thinking making the shoes smell like what you would think glamour smells like, such as the smell of a sweet perfume 
  • I want to know if you would feel more glamourous putting on your shoes after you have had a glamourous meal or have had five start meal out making you feel powerful and important, would you feel more glamourous???
  • If you were given shoes with a higher status or value would you feel more glamourous? in reality at most of the time a branded shoe is only different in its look so if you piked a shoe that looked more expensive then another would you feel more glamourous when putting it on??





Rebellion -
Is defined as; an act or a show of defiance toward an authority or established convention. dissent from an accepted moral code or convention of behavior, dress, etc.




Austerity - 
austere quality; severity of manner, life, etc.; sternness.


No comments:

Post a Comment