Wednesday 11 September 2013

500 words

Structure of feeling

In the reading I found it suggested that we take comfort for granted and that " people are animals designed for sensory simulation but comfort doesn't do too well" it is suggested that comfort is stronger after discomfort the example was given that a hot shower is more pleasurable after a week of tramping then a shower at the same temperature everyday. I felt I would try this theory by making an experiment at that would repeat an uncomfortable experiment and then on the last turn you would change the uncomfortable factor to a comfortable one. I found that when putting on shoes/ tying up your laces it doesn’t produce a loud sound. So I designed an experiment to be based over four days on the first three days I would play the theme song form Alfred Hitchcock’s film “Phyco” a very jagged fast passed pace of music that would make you jump out of you seat and feel very uncomfortable and scarred for your life. And then on the last day I played an upbeat calming song that would make you feel relaxed and comforted, The song would tell you that "its ok all will be fine now" I chose a song that normally I wouldn't be proud of but I felt it fitted the part, I picked an instrumental version of 'what makes you beautiful' by One Direction. I found the piece of music very relaxing and comforting as it had song slurring notes and a slow peaceful pace and even though the song is differently not one of my favorite song, I felt that nothing negative is related around this song as it is upbeat and familiar, there has to be a reason it so popular and I felt that as it was popular and well know it helped to crate a comforting environment. When doing the experiment I did feel on edge when Pyscho was playing, it became hard to concentrate on the activity as the song that gets you heart racing, definitely when it get to the extremely high pitched part I always wanted to tie my shoes up really fast so I didn't have to continue listing to the song. When the music was playing I felt like the worst was going to happen. Like the girl in the movie when she is court of guard in the shower and stabbed and having the song as a routine didn't help as then by the third day I was not looking forward to putting on my shoes because I didn't want to listen to it again. When day number four came I sure did feel comfortable even having no sound I would of felt comfortable, having the relief of not listing to physo AGAIN. But the One Direction song made it surprisingly more comfortable as its is show pace and uses slurring notes which I feel plays a big part in making a song as it gives a soft sound and making comfortable music. I also enjoyed listing to the instrumental version of the song I felt it gave a different sound to the song, you focused on the music being played rater then listing to those boys sing it, I felt it was unexpectedly familiar as you know the tune but having it as an instrumental you get to hear it in a different context. I found on day four i took my time and was more comfortable doing the act as it was a familiar, upbeat song to tie your shoes to, when has One Direction made you uncomfortable?
    

No comments:

Post a Comment