Wednesday 11 September 2013

Comfort Smell.

When it comes to the smell of shoes you never picture a pleasant smell of a shoe, I always think of a moldy, sweaty and damp smell, a smell you never want to put your nose close to. so for this experiment I wanted to freshen it up a bit and wanted to find the most comfortable smelling shoe. as you try to avoid smelling you shoe I wanted a smell to stand out and take you off hard the one your shoe was strong smelling and two it was a comfortable smell, one that you could get used to smelling on a daily basis. In the reading it said that to actually make something noticeably comfortable you have to have discomfort first, well I think the smell of a well worn show is quite uncomfortable so by making it pleasant will enhance the comfort. I thought of three different smells that I felt where deemed as comfortable, pleasant and give me that homely reassurance; Lavender, vanilla and Almond. To do this experiment I put a few drops of vanilla and almond essence  and also lavender cream in to three different lace up shoe and tried to see if it created a sense of comfort and if there was a difference in the smells level of comfort.
I found that the smells did create a sense of comfort but if it came as a surprise I feel that the comfort would of been stronger, smell is an interesting sense as you cant see it in any way so if you don't know that the smell is going to be like until you breath in so the element of surprise would be a good way to push this experiment. when grading the different smells I felt that almond was the less comfortable, then vanilla and the most comfortable being Lavender, I felt the reason why I found lavender the most comforting is because of memory, I relate lavender with going to sleep, when I couldn't sleep when I was a kid my mother used to rub lavender on my chest and wrist to help me relax, so now when I smell it I relaxed which I fell is a sense of being comfortable

Image One.

Image two

I found it hard to photograph smell as It cant be seen, so in the first image I made my own imagery to show the smell in each shoe, Lavender went in the yellow one, Almond in the black and Vanilla in the pink, and the second image shows the products I used to create the smells.

No comments:

Post a Comment