Sunday 15 September 2013

Making it.

I felt the best and easiest way to make this light was to lathe it, I first started by lathing the top dome that would be later vacuum formed that would be were the chocolate would be incased. I then lathed the body of the light, I went to a simple shape that widened halfway up and then angled back in, I felt that this was a different shape then most lights as center pieces. I also made suer the bottom of it it perfectly fitted the vacuum formed plastic.
After I made all of the forms I wanted to design the the holes where the chocolate would fall through I didn't just want a simple one hole in the center as I feel thats what a bottle it for, I wanted it to be unique and delicate so i did a few sketches;
I looked at doing circles, rings and lines as I felt that they could all give of a different look when the chocolate flowed through them. I didn't think I should do the ring one as I thought it would be to hard to execute cleanly as I would have to cut the shapes out with a craft knife and doing curved spaces are hard to pull of well so I decided to to continue with that design. I first tried the lines and cut them in to one of my vacuum formed plastic domes and tried to pour melted chocolate though them and see what happens.


I found the four lines didnt would as well as I had hoped I found three problems with it

  1. I found i had made the slits to narrow so that when the chocolate was poured into it it did not exit and just sat in the bowl
  2. The chocolate fall all along the lines I found the the chocolate just fell to the end of the points and then drop off which defeated the point of having them as lines
  3. the last problem I had with the four lines was that I felt it looked like an udder as there was four part the chocolate could exit and I didn't poetically want it ti look like an udder it wasn't the look I was going four.
after the lines I tried the circles and I make them wider then the lines and I found that the chocolate flowed a lot easier with a bigger area.

After this I had an idea to give the user a bit of freedom and alterations so I made two more chocolate cases, one with three larger holes and the other with just one even bigger hole. having three different covers meant the user could choose what one they wanted, they could have one with six smaller holes that would take longer for the chocolate to fall though but would spread the chocolate  out further when it falls while the one big hole would melt faster but would only fall in one spot. 

I also had to think about the shape of the chocolate inside the case, I found it didn't melt all the way though when it was to thick this then meant the chocolate didn't fall though. I also didn't want it to thin then there would be enough chocolate to enjoy. the way I found to get it just right was to have it thiner where the chocolate would exit so it would melt faster and then have it thicker on the sides so due to gravity then it melted it would get heavy and fall through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment