Saturday 14 September 2013

wax concepts



I came up with a few concepts on making my own wax light;

  • I first came up with have a very geometric wax shape so that when it melted it would change shape to soft rounded organic shapes showing the contrast between the start point and end point, I felt that is form would inherence the forms and shapes wax can take on with it starting out with hard sharp shapes. I was think a few hanging triangles showing repetition and also representing a modern look on stalactites.
  • another idea I had was to have multiple lights that had different switches so it was up to the user to switch them on and off, so they could control what lights would corse the wax to melt or at what pace the wax would meant out, the more lights on, the more heat, resulting in the faster the wax to melt. it light is more interactive and got the user to think about how they wanted the wax to form.
  • Another shaper I thought of was to have a round shape to represent a flame, i felt that this was a strong way to show the concept of the heat of the light because when I think of wax melting I think of fire melting it, not light so having the wax the shape of wax plays on that idea and when the light is on the wax would melt and change the shape of the wax and slowly reveling the light being the source of the heat and light.
  • I also though about how the wax would fall and I didn't just want the wax to fall on the ground but didn't just want a container to capture it in as I felt it would reflect to much on the precedent so I thought about making a clear container that held water in it so when the wax fell of the top part it would fall in to water, and at first the wax would make little balls of wax that floated on the top of the water and then over time as the wax accumulated it would cover the water so you would no longer see it and would act like an iceberg in the ocean and be a stable structure onto of water. It would also be easy to clean up as the wax would of only stuck to its self so to remove it all you would have to do it just scoop it out of the water.
  • I also had to think of different ways to hold the wax to the light, in the precedent the used bent wire to hold it on and it also would restrict the wax to much when it is melting so i wanted to find away that would do that to. I thought of doing pins that went though the wax and into the frame on angle. I also thought about having a screw in system so the wax would screw into the frame but I thought that the would be hard to make fit perfectly. I also though of having the wax on top if lighting and having holes around the lights so the wax would drip though because heat risers so having above would not only be easier to support as heat risers it would melt faster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment